Quickbooks says user doesn't have proper permissions
So I was told AutoElevate could let endusers update Quickbooks on their own but a user is always getting this error saying they don't have proper permissions to update. I have to log in and run as an admin to do so.
How can I make it so that when they launch it they can update it too? Do I have to set the app to run as an administrator?
Setting 'Run as Administrator' was one of the first things we tried. But setting Shortcuts to 'Run as administrator' created various issues and even if it worked you wouldn't want QB running with Admin privileges 100% of the time.
So what ended working better was just end user training. We added the following instructions for installing 'QB Updates' .
- If QB is already open, then Exit / Close the program.
- To Install Updates: Right click on the QB program icon on your desktop
- Select 'Run as administrator' from the Context menu popup
- That step both gets around QB not realizing it will be able to run as admin to install the updates, and it triggers the AutoElevate rule.
- Install the updates
- **Important** After the updates are installed, Exit QB and relaunch it normally. This last step is important if you're using a Company File on a Shared network folder with locked down security permissions (instead of QB's insane default public access permission that it keeps trying to overwrite with...)
Please sign in to leave a comment.